Hide secret Files and Photos in Android
Our smartphones hold the key to our lives. More than often we find the need to hide files and folders in Android device for various purposes. The important data may include ATM pins, records for earnings, as well as important passwords. We are usually very protective of our smartphones and rarely let others access it.
Modern technologies like fingerprint sensors and retina sensors have increased the level of safety. However, they are not nearly enough. To be truly sure that your vital data is invisible to prying eyes, you need to hide all the files and folders on the phone. There are several ways in which you can hide files and folders in Android devices.
Here, we shall discuss a few methods that you can use to hide files as well as folders on an Android device.
Let us discuss the crucial steps for securing your data:
Creating a hidden folder to hide files and photos
This method doesn’t need any apps to be installed, you can do this with your phone’s file manager.
- Create a folder with “.” in front
- save all your files and photos inside this folder
- All the files and photos are not accessible now
To hide your folder manually, you need to have the access of your phone’s file explorer. Create new folder. You can name your folder as per your wish but you need to give a dot (“.”) at the beginning to make it a hidden folder (like .my hidden files). folder name starts with “.” is hidden in Android Phones and tablets.
Android system will understand that as a hidden folder and the content of that folder will never be accessible in the gallery or in any search. Of course, via the File explorer, you can have the access of this hidden folder.
However, if you want then it is possible to hide it from the File explorer as well. Tapping on the phone menu will open the setting option (at the bottom). You can then uncheck the “show hidden files” option from the “display settings”. To revert back the action you need to recheck the “show hidden files”.
There are some mobiles that have inbuilt application to hide files, photos, and videos from another person touch. However, those who don’t have the inbuilt option to hide their privacy, there are software apps that let you do the same to avoid strangers to have a look in your privacy or steal your secrets.
B. Using Apps to hide files and images in Android
1. File Hide Expert
File hide expert is a simple intuitive application that is famous for hiding files and folders on your device quickly. Follow these steps to use this application to hide the necessary files and folders on your Android device.
It is one of the easiest interface Apps in the market which helps you to hide your private collection. It works just as your default file manager. After opening the app you need to tap the folder icon (at the top right). You need to maneuver between the files and the main screen of the app. You have the “Hide all” option and similarly “Restore all” option to get back your files. It may sound like a third party can easily locate it with the navigation, but there is a catch of password protects integration which concretes the operation.
Step by Step explanation to hide files:
- Firstly, you need to download the application from the Google Play Store.
- After you finish downloading, you can locate the application in the app drawer on your device.
- On opening the application for the first time, you will see a note that states, The File List is empty. Please click the folder icon in the top right corner to add files or folders.
- On clicking the folder icon, the application will automatically open the file manager and display the various files and folders on the device.
- You can now select the various files and folders that you wish to hide from the file manager.
- Once you have finished selecting the various files and folders that you wish to hide, you need to select the Hide All option located on the bottom of the screen.
- Now, these files and folders are rendered invisible on your files manager. You can access these files only via the File Hide Expert application.
- To make sure that no one else has access to these files and folders, you can enable the password login feature on the application from the settings.
|4.1 – 47,717||5,000,000 – 10,000,000|
|Download File Hide Expert App|
After downloading the app you would be prompted to provide a master pin. Next step would be to tap the “hide photos and videos” to explore your existing media. After tapping your preferred files you have to tap on the “pad lock” button as the final step. To access, you just need to give your pin and if you want to restore the files you need to tap on the “opened padlock” option.
|4.6 – 326,171||5,000,000 – 10,000,000|
|Download Vaulty App|
3. Gallery Vault
Gallery Vault is a third party app which needs to be downloaded from play store itself. It will help you encrypt or hide your entire private photos from others so that you maintain your personality ad do not create a false impression over others. Moreover, you may also hide the app icon so that none of the expert users are able to find out even the hiding app where you have hidden all your images.
10,000,000 – 50,000,000
Keepsafe acts a strong vault and with the help of a pin, you can navigate the interface. It also has a cloud storage and you can opt for it as a backup. After downloading the app you need to set up a pin. You can add photos by “adding picture’ while you tap. KeepSafe photo locker lets you hide your pictures behind various multiple layers with password, pattern or fingerprint lock so that no one is able to find even a bit of your secrets.
|4.6– 1,626,189||10,000,000 – 50,000,000|
|Download KeepSafe App|
How to choose the best app for your privacy?
After looking at hundreds of photo safe or photo vaults, you might get confused which app to choose and which to pass by. Recommended suggestion would be to go to the play store and search by typing “picture lock”, “photo locker”, “folder lock” and such so that the play store warehouse finds the best list. After getting the list you need to shortlist your best picks. First few rows are the best ranking apps for your searched terms. Go through the ratings, reviews, and number of installation along with their features. You can go ahead with your preferred installation and run the app. However, you need to take your final call in the initial days about its stability and work function. If it’s not working then you can move ahead with your next best pick.
Hide Files and Folders in Android without 3rd Party Locking Applications
You can use the following nifty method in case you do not wish to trust third-party applications to hide files and folders in Android devices.
- Open the file manager on your device. In case your Android device does not come pre-installed with a file manager application you can download a reliable file manager like the ES File Explorer from Google Play Store.
- Now create a new folder on the device with the name, .Hidden Files. You need to use a dot (.) in front of any name that you would like to select to hide the folder at the end.
- Now move all the different folders and files that you wish to hide in this folder.
- Go to the settings on your File Manager application and uncheck the Show hidden files and Folders. This will hide your folder.
- To gain access back to your folder, recheck the Show Hidden files and folders from the settings of the file manager.
It is advisable that you do not save important data on your device if you share the device with a lot of people daily. Always keep a reliable third-party application to hide files and folders in Android, handy to protect your data.
We all have a private corner and mobile phones have become our personal as well as professional identity. It is sure that there are files, pictures as well as videos that we want to share among close groups and not to everyone.